« Recommended Resources - Get Posts from this Blog on "My Yahoo!" or "My Msn" | Main | Recommended Resources - The English Blog »

December 19, 2005

ESL Surveys - Teaching Prerequisites

"What office is there which involves more responsibility, which requires more qualifications, and which ought, therefore, to be more honorable, than that of teaching?" ~Harriet Martineau

Blog folk,

ESL qualification prerequisites anyone?

There's a lot of talk going on now on the ESL-School blog and in the various ESL-Job-Forums out there about what kind of academic degrees you might (or might not) need to qualify for employment at a respectable ESL school abroad (or, just get legal working papers) . . .

ESL Interview.gif

. . . On top of this, there is the age-old question of what type of ESL certification one should have, if any at all. The consensus seems to be that all of this depends on:

1. the individual country and its own set of laws and
2. the individual ESL school and how high (or low) its standards are.

Here at ESL-Lesson-Plan, we've decided to take a poll and find out, once and for all, what the average ESL teacher today has under his or her belt when it comes to listing credentials on a vita or a job application form.

Since our readership is quite big, the results should be interesting.

I've prepared a little survey on this subject. Don't worry, they are six easy multiple choice questions. If you have a moment to spare, please share you input on this anonymous poll. I'll collect the data and publish it in either a future blog post or in the January edition of ESL Instruct (or both).

The link to the poll is here (will bounce back here when done):

CLICK HERE TO TAKE SURVEY

As usual, thanks for your participation. After taking the survey, please feel free to leave a comment here on your thoughts about how "degreed" an ESL teacher ought to be, what it means to our profession when the standards are raised, and, besides actual teaching experience, which program(s) benefit both the ESL student and the skill-level of the ESL teacher the most?

Until the next entry,

Lee Hobbs
Editor-in-Chief, ESLemployment
Blog: http://www.english-blog.com

*Looking for other interesting surveys (and their resultes) about the ESL industry? Click HERE!

Posted by lhobbs at December 19, 2005 12:19 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference ESL Surveys - Teaching Prerequisites:

» Degree in ESL (or other) or Not? from ESL School
In a recent poll of readers of my newsletter I asked whether English teachers should have a degree. Some 64% thought they should: quite a high "yes" because, as always, there were some "don't knows" meaning that the "no" camp was very small. I am gener... [Read More]

Tracked on December 19, 2005 02:37 PM

» Teaching Qualifications for TESL from ESL School
Lots of people seem confused bythe range of teaching qualificatiions that exist. As ELT is a truly global phneomenon, it is not surprising different countries have different provisions and, although some teaching qualifications have worldwide recogniti... [Read More]

Tracked on December 19, 2005 02:44 PM

» ESL Surveys - Problems With Bad Employers from ESL Lesson Plan
Bad Bosses. In advance of a future blog entry, I wanted to cast the net out for comments and stories about problems with employers. It’s a fact that ESL can be a precarious business and there are plenty unscrupulous employers out there. What are your... [Read More]

Tracked on May 11, 2006 01:54 PM

» ESL Surveys - How Often Do You Use Films in the Classroom? from ESL Lesson Plan
If your students are anything like mine, they probably love cinema and all have their favorite movies and movie stars. I have found that using film in the ESL classroom can be an enjoyable and useful experience. Take our poll and tell us about how you... [Read More]

Tracked on May 11, 2006 01:54 PM

Comments

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the nice comment. I am sure that you and I will be up to something one day. I am honestly using my site (mramer.org) right now as an ad to show my skills, and a reference to prosepective employers. I also want it as a way friends can check out what I am up to without having to send out emails. But iteachers.org will be more dynamic and hopefully it will have some resources for teachers out there. Hope you are doing good. Happy Holidays from Arkansas!

-Mahmoud

Posted by: Mahmoud at December 20, 2005 12:12 AM

Lee and other fellow-Lee-readers,

I took your ESL qualification prerequisite survey and am looking forward to seeing the results when you post them!

Teaching ESL/EFL isn't exactly known to be the most lucrative profession (the understatement of the new year, I know). And this very subject -- how "degreed" an ESL teacher ought to be -- plays an obvious and direct roll on the average amount of "green stuff" today's ESL teacher can expect. Raising standards, ESL qualification prerequisites is just one example, is a must! I'm not saying it's all about the money, but the teaching field as a whole has been long under paid and under appreciated, wouldn't you say?!

I agree with Jason that an ESL teacher ought to have at least a BA from an accredited English university, and I don't at all think that's too much to demand. I also think it prudent of teachers to take some version of an ESL certification program. Unfortunately, many such certification courses out there now are a joke and a waste of money, so it's important to do your research and choose a reputable organization!

I earned my BA in English with a Spanish minor and the followed with a Via Lingua TEFL certification course in Madrid. I found that both helped me land better jobs in more supportive environments than colleagues who were job searching with simply a "native speaker degree".

So that's what I have to say in regard to the questions you threw out to us, but before I sign-off, I have a few questions of my own...

Less talk, more action: How do WE (individually or otherwise) help raise the standards of our profession?

Trying to move mountains: Do you really think it's possilbe to raise standards with the plethora of employers out there ready to hire the first English-speaking traveller that wanders by -- regardless of qualification or dedication to the profession?

That's all for now, folks!
Smyth

Posted by: Smyth at January 4, 2006 04:44 AM

Lee,

Shakespeare's a must. Knowledge of. Experience Acting out at least one of his many famous plays. But if you were unlucky enough to discover not, the wonders of Ye Olde English then try memorising a verse from your favourite play.

For you clever ones out there... What play does the following verse come from?

"If I may trust the flattering truth of sleep, my dreams pursuade some joyful news at had! My bosom's Lord sits lightly on it's throne and all this day an unaccustomed spirit lifts me above the ground with cheerful thoughts! I dreamt my Lady came and found me dead! (Strange dream that gives a dead man leave to think)... And breathed such life, with kisses on my lips, that I revived and was an Emperor! Ah me! How sweet does doth love possess... when but love's sorrow is so rich in joy!"

So forget about your qualifications and experience for a moment and ponder the prerequisite of poetry!

John.

PS: Please excuse the odd inaccuracy as the verse (spoken by Romeo)was written from memory...

PPS: My favourite Shakespeare play is Hamlet.

Posted by: John at January 5, 2006 06:14 AM

Lee,

Teaching qualifications come in all shapes and sizes, and acceptable standards fluctuate from country to country.

The best piece of advice I can offer is, when armed with whatever qualifications you have earned, turn to the greatest qualification of all when you are ready to work in a relatively undeveloped country - and that's the qualification of life.

Because no matter where you go, the system will not change for YOU...YOU must change to suit the system. Flexibility, adaptability, friendliness and respect...because without these qualities/qualifications you will struggle to survive in another country...and remember, YOU are the foreigner!

Fish and chips, mince and tatties will not always be readily available for those who are looking for a 'home from home' situation. Go with the flow, enjoy the experience, and help as many people as you can to speak a new language - it's their path to a new and happy life.

Jim

Posted by: jim hollerin at January 5, 2006 11:06 PM

Jim,

Your comment about the qualification of life is a valid one and I have seen people come to my country and be horrified because the washing machine instructions are not in English. You do have to be adaptible and willing to embrace the culture and 'ways' of the country you have decided to reside in.

But a lot of the comments on this page are about the individual, the teacher. But what about the students. They have invested time and money to learn English and that responsibility lies on our shoulders. They need to learn usable, current English,(not the bard John). If you are considering a career in English Teaching, or even a year or two in the profession, remember that last word, profession.

If I wanted to become a car mechanic, I would assume that just because I can drive I know about cars. In the same way just because we can speak English doesn't make us teachers.

Therefore for anyone thinking of jetting off around the world to teach English I have the following advice. A TEFL certificate is a must, (often more important than a degree.) That certificate should be externally validated, try Cambridge or Trinity. (I am not being critical about the others but some schools will not employ you if you have other ones). And that certificate should be considered as a start of a Education not the end of it.

Happy Teaching,

Gareth

Posted by: gareth at January 7, 2006 05:25 AM

-------
Note from Lee:

Readers, for reasons of space, the comments for this post have been relocated to the English-Blog space. To remark on this article, please click on the following link HERE!:

Thanks!