« Teaching ESL WITHOUT An Employer | Main | Industry Event - ESL [Friendly] Conferences »

December 13, 2005

Recommended Resources - ESL Textbook Suggestions

"The greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions of grammar" ~Michel de Montaigne

Hello There ESL-Textbook Hunters!

This semester, based on a trusted recommendation, I tried the following grammar book (also covers punctuation and style) which (don't laugh!) is designed for North American eight-graders. I'd like to report, though, that I had a tremendous success with it.

The funny thing is, the rules for English don't change according to your age, and this friendly, unthreatening and very approachable guide to grammar worked well in my language writing class of twentysomethings. Plus, it was considerably cheap when compared to similar products (under $6.00 USD second-hand). The downside is that . . .

ESL Textbooks.jpg

. . . there are relatively few "exercises" if you are looking specifically for a workbook.

Here is the info for the book I am referring to:

Elliott, Rebecca. Barron's Painless Grammar.

There's another good one that I use specifically for the grammar exercises. I'll mention that one in a different post. This one would even work well for private lessons, so you could have your own copy as a reference tool (without requiring them to purchase it).

Let me know if you find this one useable (or, if you've tried it before).

Remember now to dot your "i"s and cross your "t"s,

Lee Hobbs
ESL Instruct, Editor-in-Chief
ESLemployment.com

*For more ESL-related Recommended Resources featured on ESL-Lesson-Plan, please click HERE!

Posted by lhobbs at December 13, 2005 03:48 AM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Recommended Resources - ESL Textbook Suggestions:

» Coursebooks: blessing or curse? from ESL School
I have severe doubts about the textbook industry. One or two series of coursebooks have come to dominate ELT. I name no titles but I’m sure you know which ones I mean. Now I know that the structured approach, the varied activities, varied pace, atten... [Read More]

Tracked on December 18, 2005 04:59 PM

» Teaching English Grammar? Some Reader Recommendations from [The] ENGLISH-BLOG [.com]
Looking for really USEFUL grammar textbook for your ELT lessons? ESL-Resource Shoppers, look no further. Some great discussions have been going on regarding good Grammar books for ESL. I had posted the one I used this semester in an earlier post, but... [Read More]

Tracked on December 20, 2005 08:30 PM

» Surfing with English-Blog on Location from [The] English Blog [.com]
I recently upgraded an awesome web-tool I frequently use and thought it might be nice to pass on the info to anyone else out there who enjoys maximizing their internet experience. To get if for yourself, feel free to follow the link. if you're game, pu... [Read More]

Tracked on January 12, 2006 09:28 PM

» Get ESL-Lesson-Plan on "My Yahoo!" or "My Msn" from [The] English Blog [.com]
Do you use the MyYahoo! service as your web browser's homepage? How about My Msn+ ? Even AOL has a My AOL option. One of the REALLY cool things you can do with those sites is to add blogs like ESL-Lesson-Plan to the area where yo... [Read More]

Tracked on January 13, 2006 01:19 AM

» Recommended Resource for English Composition Writing from [The] English-Blog [.com]
This educational film is focused on writng in the real world and how this applies to various academic fields. In a documentary format, it discusses, through interviews with practitioners in many occupations, various thinking and writing strategies . . . [Read More]

Tracked on January 23, 2006 04:21 PM

» Online Resources For: Learning to Write! from [The] English-Blog [.com]
I've come across some really great resources to recommend to students who have online access. The topic for these resources are learning to write effectively and all are in the English language . Have you come across that you've felt were especially he... [Read More]

Tracked on January 29, 2006 03:41 PM

» Recommended Resource for Teaching English Language Composition II from [The] English-Blog [.com]
If you've had the opportunity to see "Finding Something To Say" for yourself, what were your impressions? What, if anything, did you learn from it that might be useful? Was this a better or more useful part of the series when compared . . . [Read More]

Tracked on January 30, 2006 02:43 AM

» Recommended Resources - Do You Feel Out-Of-Touch? from ESL Lesson Plan
As teachers, it’s critical that we keep up-to-date on the current trends in teaching. But some of us are far away from universities or other places where ESL teaching is a common topic of conversation. But that doesn’t mean that we have to miss o... [Read More]

Tracked on May 20, 2006 07:01 PM

Comments

lee,

Thanks for that recc.I was looking for something I could buy cheap and that made sense to kids. good one.

cheers,

sally

Posted by: sallyteachjapan at December 14, 2005 11:46 AM

-----

Note from Lee:

Sally, glad I could be of some service. I'll have other suggested ESL texts on this blog from time to time (see section "ESL Resources.") If there's any text you'd like to suggest, please let us know. I'll be occasionally featuring the texts used by posters over on ESL-Jobs-Forum too.

Posted by: Lee at December 14, 2005 01:18 PM

Hi Lee,

I just wanted to take this chance to recommend a great book called, "The Deluxe Transitive Vampire : A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed"

A friend introduced me to it's chilling secrets while I was doing my TESL diploma. Check it out. Grammar with bite.

Nigel

Posted by: Nigel Fogden at December 14, 2005 10:54 PM

-----------

Note from Lee:

Thanks for that Nigel; that looks fascinating. I looked it up on Amazon and will definitely give it a read. I've been looking for something fresh to try like this; maybe this will be it.

If anyone else is interested, I've put links to the book Nigel's recommended below. I'll try to give it a decent review to go along with Nigel's in the near future.

Gordon, Karen Elizabeth. The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed.

Posted by: Lee at December 14, 2005 11:47 PM

-------
Note from Lee:

Readers, for reasons of space, the comments for this post have been relocated to the English-Blog space. To remark on this article, please click on the following link HERE!:

Thanks!