« Surveys- English Only Classrooms | Main | Teaching Spots- Call for Comments »

December 08, 2006

Q and A: Can I take my pet abroad?

Hello Readers,

For many ESL teachers, moving from country to country is a part of life. While there is plenty of information out there about culture shock, learning a new language, and figuring out how to stay in touch with friends and families, there isn't much about what to do with your beloved pets. This week's question comes from an up and coming ESL teacher named Katie. To read the full question and answer, continue reading...

... and then share your questions and comments about this issue based on your experiences with traveling abroad with pets.


Dear Carol,

I've found an ESL position in Poland. I'm looking forward to moving there and learning the language. I've done some ESL training and feel pretty prepared for the move. The only problem is, I haven't figured out what to do with my cat. I'd love to take her with me. Can I?



Dear Katie,

Each country (and airline) has their own rules about traveling with pets and bringing them into another country to live. When I moved from China to England in the fall, I found out that in order to bring my pet rabbit with me, I would have had to get a lot of paperwork done on the China side, pay quite a bit of money, and then have my poor little rabbit sit in quarantine for 6 months in the UK once we arrived. We decided that we didn't want to force such a life on our rabbit so found someone in China to give him a new home. Luckily for us and for him, he's being taken care of very well- and we get occasional letters and pictures to see how he's doing. That is of course one option- finding someone else to take care of your cat for you while you are away.

However, I've done a little internet research for you and have found that Poland is a member of the EU Pet Travel Scheme, which means that pet carnivores like dogs, cats, and ferrets, can enter Poland without quarantine, as long as they meet the hygiene requirements (and provided that they are from one of the countries covered by the scheme). Your cat will need to wait six months before it can enter Poland after it's had a satisfactory blood test.

For more information about the Pet Scheme (PETS), go to:

For more information about taking your pet abroad, which includes contact information about obtaining a permit for Poland, go to: http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/9907/taking_your_pet_abroad.shtml

As laws and regulations may change in regards to this issue, I'd also recommend that you contact your nearest Polish consulate and also the airline that you are traveling with.

Good luck!

If you have any questions that you'd like answered on this blog send me an email at crueckert@eslemployment.com

Carol Rueckert
Writer, ESL Lesson Plan
E-mail: crueckert@eslemployment.com
Blog: www.esl-lesson-plan.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb

*To read more ESL Questions and Answers, please click HERE!

About the author of this entry:
Carol, a native English-speaker who hails from the small town of St. Joseph in Minnesota, USA, and lived and worked in China for more than 7 years. During that time, she worked with students that range in age from three to more than sixty years old. She worked in universities, private language schools, grade schools, international schools, as well as private tutoring. Besides teaching, she also worked as a head teacher, an education manager, and a material development manager. In addition to working on this newsletter, she currently writes a monthly column for Time Out Beijing. Carol is also currently working on her MA in TESOL at the Oxford Brookes University in England. Look for her posts on the ESL-Jobs-Forum discussion boards!

Posted by crueckert at December 8, 2006 04:05 AM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:


Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)