« Workplace Issues-Gross and Net Salaries | Main | Industry Events- Learner Autonomy Across Disciplines Conference »

September 17, 2007

Tips and Tricks- Logging Your Lessons

Hello Readers,

Most ESL teachers who have been around for a while have a few tricks up their sleeves for impromptu lessons and for extra time at the end of classes. New teachers, on the other hand, might find that they are constantly searching for material to use in their lessons. Either way, one thing that all teachers should be doing is...

... logging their lesson plans. Not only will this cut down on lesson planning time, but it will also make it easier for teachers to improve on older lessons in a more efficient and organized way.

Some things that can be included in the log:

Topic:
Type of Lesson: (Reading, Writing, Grammar, Vocab, etc.)
Objective:
Level:
Length:
Number of Students:
Materials Used: (list book and page number/numbers and/or a scan of the materials)
The Plan:
What Worked Well:
What Didn't Work Well (And Why):
What Could Be Changed:
Possible Extension Activities:
Possible Alternative Activities:
Other Comments:

Lessons can be organized according to topic, level, coursebook, or even date and can be kept in a notebook, plastic folder, or computer folder.
For easy access to the materials, it might be worthwhile to consider posting the lesson plans on a blog. For a list of free blog writing tools, go to: http://awd.cl.uh.edu/blog/.

Hope that helps!

Carol Rueckert
Writer, ESL Lesson Plan
E-mail: crueckert@eslemployment.com
Blog: www.esl-lesson-plan.com

"I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand." - Chinese Proverb

*For more ESL Tips & Tricks from ESL-Lesson-Plan, please click HERE!

-----------
About the author of this entry:
Carol, a native English-speaker who hails from the small town of St. Joseph in Minnesota, USA, worked in China for more than 7 years. During that time, she worked with students of all ages and levels. She worked at universities, private language schools, grade schools, international schools, and did private tutoring as well. Besides teaching, she also worked as a head teacher, an education manager, and a material development manager. In addition to working on this newsletter, she also writes a monthly column for Time Out Beijing. Carol is also currently working on her MA in TESOL at Oxford Brookes University in England. Look for her posts on the ESL-Jobs-Forum discussion boards!

Posted by crueckert at September 17, 2007 12:04 PM

Comments

Hi Carol,

My schedule for next term includes more repetitive lessons than I have ever had to teach in a term. I think its a great time to implement the log, as it will help me to plan better and really see the results of my improvements more quickly.

I haven't used such a log since I did CELTA but I wish I had kept it up. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted by: Terri Pleasant at September 17, 2007 05:48 PM

I always read your articles and really find them helpful. Currently, I teach ESL to kids aged 5-15 in China. I have been in the field for just about 8 months. It's really challenging! Recently, I have realised that my kids really learn fast with games. However, repeating games can get boring at times. I was wondering if you could tell me a site where I could find games to teach kids ESL.
Regards,
Stephen

Posted by: Stephen at October 2, 2007 02:40 AM

Dearest carol,

I want only to ask you about your MA in Oxford..I would appreciate if you could help me to find one through correspondence as i am working in Sales and Marketing company in UAE now.yet, i do have an experience of more than 3 years in Teaching english as a second language after the holding of my bA in English Lit.I will appreciate any further assistance and thanks a lot of your article which will for sure be useful to all the readers...

Posted by: Mostafa at October 2, 2007 03:16 AM

Hi Mostafa,

Oxford Brookes' program can be done on-site or online. For more info: www.brookes.ac.uk

Good luck!

C.

Posted by: crueckert at October 2, 2007 06:44 PM

Hi Stephen,

I've generally found that young students seem to like repetition and wonder if you find repeating the games more boring than the students do. What do you think?

Here are a few websites that you might find useful:

Hope that helps!

Carol

Posted by: crueckert at October 2, 2007 06:48 PM

hi... its me ellen.
i'm a student. i just want to know more about PSA present Situation Analysis. this is my report and i can't find any reference about it. i searched for it in the internet but i got only a little definition about it. i want to know more about what PSA really all about.
thanx!!

Posted by: ellen at January 9, 2008 09:58 AM

Hi,
I´m a teacher of English and I´m Chilean. Do you know MI3(Multi-modal Intelligibility Integration Interface System? May it use as ESL?

thanks,